The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura]

compose a reply
The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura] Jan 19, 2024 16:06:45 GMT -5
Shouki Shizuka
No half measures. The clan must be saved. The clan must be destroyed.
Shouki Shizuka Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 16 years old birthday 7/24 rank Genin occupation Genin Team 3
It was late in the afternoon aboard the Regal Storm, a two mast merchant ship traveling south at a lazy pace. The weather was calm and the ocean clear, which was nice, but it also meant the wind was low. Little progress had been made the entire day. The lack of progress didn't bother Shizuka at all though - she was simply thrilled to be at sea. She had cast a thin fishing line over the side of the ship, and was relaxing, entirely at peace.

Shizuka was not the only genin on board the Regal Storm. In fact, she was carrying out a mission alongside her fellow clanmate, Shouki Yashura. The mission was neither complex, nor particularly dangerous. It mostly involved carrying out a variety of chores to keep the ship clean and the sailors' equipment ready. For the Shouki clan genin, the labour was easy. Compared to their typical routine at home, it was practically a paid vacation.

There was another reason the Shouki girls were aboard the ship, too. Yashura had arranged the mission so that the pair were as far away from prying eyes and ears as possible. The only other shinobi around was the captain, a veteran from the civil war. And she had as much interest in their gossip as she had for the fleas in her bunk.

I hope what Yashura-chan wanted to 'speak plainly' about is worth the wait.

Shizuka watched as a few dark shapes passed beneath the ship. Her line had been dipped into the water for quite a few minutes now, but the fish were evidently uninterested in her lure. She didn't mind.

I can forgive her even if it's unimportant, though. It's so nice to be at sea after so long.
Cervance has written 61 posts
The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura] Feb 23, 2024 8:25:35 GMT -5
Shouki Yashura
Look out~
Shouki Yashura Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday December 15th rank Adv. Genin occupation Best Girl
Getting the mission was not difficult.

It's not like there were many volunteers for scraping shells and dirt off of the ship's hull while it was mooring. All things considered, it was a very ... low-tier assignment. Meant for the undeserving of something better-suited to Shinobi. Yashura managed to put a spin on it that aimed to paint her in a better light, in front of her peers. Officially, she was not just going to be doing chores. But also keep an eye on a less-than-trustworthy clanmember, who had a history of trying to make a run for it, earlier in her life. Thus, making this undertaking not a disgrace, but a sacrifice of personal glory in the name of the Clan. A very Shouki thing to do. 

There were a lot of self-serving reasons too.

Yashura loved the sea. The breeze hitting in the face, and the waves making motions. No stench of toxins or stale air here, like back in the compound. And no eyes and ears around every corner, to observe and report. This was the perfect place to ... talk. 

Having cleared out the duties with the shinobi overseeing their temporary employment, and taking the hooks, ropes, and scrapers necessary to clean the hull of the ship, Yashura approached her would-be partner for today. She herself was dressed as the sea - her kimono having a dark-blue and white pattern, like the foam of a wave crashing against the shoreline. She grinned, feigning enthusiasm about the chore at hand.

"Shizuka-saaaan~ There you are! Come on, it's time for us to get busy!" - she said, handing Shizuka one of the hooks, ropes, and scrubbers. Over the top, and against the hull, they'd have plenty of private time together.
0bsu has written 27 posts
The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura] Mar 8, 2024 16:27:13 GMT -5
Shouki Shizuka
Shouki Shizuka Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Behind her, Shizuka heard a flurry of activity. She recognized the sudden metallic grinding of pulleys in action, followed by the high shrieking of a pair of gulls that had chosen their vessel as a resting place. Next, the flapping of sails as they came down, sailors removing them from the mast to be folded. She waited a few moments for the great splash which would signal the anchor was dropped. Sure enough, it came. Shizuka yawned. No more progress could be made until there was wind, as the ship lacked the manpower to propel itself by rowing or chakra.

As Yashura approached, Shizuka turned to greet her. When she saw what her partner was wearing, she raised an eyebrow incredulously.

"You're not planning on diving while wearing that, are you?"

Shizuka herself was dressed in a more typical sailor's kit - pants and a simple shirt. Practical, if inelegant, and easy to swim in. She sighed while reeling in her fishing line. Yashura's cheer did not spread to her. While the ordinary everyday work could be called easy, their real task was scouring the bottom of a ship which hadn't been cleaned since it was put to sea. For a vessel of this size, it would take the pair hours of diving.

"As long as you're prepared. Did you need help with the knots, Hime-sama?"

Shizuka tied herself to the edge of the ship with a fixed knot, leaving herself room to escape if needed. She pulled herself up to sit on the edge and waited for Yashura to prepare herself as well. When they were ready, she dove in after her.
The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura] Mar 20, 2024 4:21:15 GMT -5
Shouki Yashura
Look out~
Shouki Yashura Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 15 years old birthday December 15th rank Adv. Genin occupation Best Girl
"We're not going to be diving, silly. Cleaning the bottom of the ship would require it to be beached or moored. Not while it's moving. We'll be working close to the water-line though."

Yashura hooked her rope to the side of the ship's rails, before waving for Shizuka to follow her, over the top. She hopped down, agile, all the way to the water, even as the ship slowly coursed through it. There was plenty of work here too - shells, weed, and other dirt clung to the hull, and lived comfortably above the waterline, so long the ship dipped from time to time, either from carrying cargo, or when the ocean waves crashed against it. 

"Besides..." - Yashura added, once both of them were down here, alone and hidden from view, or direct earshot. She held a pause, as if listening to the sounds above, making sure nobody was eavesdropping, before continuing:

"It gives us a perfect reason to get to know each other." - she smiled, and made eye contact, her inky, bottomless eyes focusing into Shizuka's reddish hues. 

"I've heard stories of a girl who openly defied the wishes of our clan, and did plenty of silly things in order to spite them. I wished to see if the stories were true. Seems like they were. You're definitely the kind of girl to do silly things."

Yashura chuckled, though that chuckle was not very mirthful. 

"I'm curious as to what were you trying to accomplish though. On each occasion." 
0bsu has written 27 posts
The Rot Lies Hidden Beneath [Mission | Shizuka+Yashura] Mar 23, 2024 16:14:59 GMT -5
Shouki Shizuka
Shouki Shizuka Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Shizuka was skeptical about Yashura's claim that they wouldn't need to clean the bottom of the hull. The plain text of the mission was clear to her. Still, she was happy to delay the most bothersome chore as long as possible at Yashura's expense. If the captain scolded them for laziness, it wasn't her fault. Satisfied at her excuse, Shizuka dropped her rope into the water - to be sure there was enough slack for her to dive - and leapt in feet first. The water was a shade shy of warm, but it wasn't so cold they would freeze, and at least it was calm.

As Yashura began her questioning, Shizuka's mood soured. She was insulted. She thought Yashura needed her help or advice, and had spent many evenings worrying over what she might say. Instead, Yashura was prodding her about unpleasant memories like some spy for the Elders.

"Yashura-chan," Shizuka called, outwardly still full of cheer. "I'm very grateful you brought me out here - truly. You have no idea how much it means to me to be at sea again." Shizuka took a deep breath and let herself enjoy the smell of the sea, and in spite of herself, she was happy again.

"So I'm giving you a second chance to tell me what you need. Without calling me spiteful or silly, or making it seem like you dragged me here halfway across the world because you were curious about my darkest moments."

Shizuka turned and started hammering away at one of the barnacles that clung to the side of the ship's hull.

In the end, she thought, Yashura-chan isn't so hard to read. She's probably just ashamed that she isn't in control and needs my help. I can forgive her. A big sister ought to do that much at least.