Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]

compose a reply
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 4:53:23 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Your power is your own - no one can take it from you!
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 13 years old birthday July, 4th rank Academy Student occupation Wannabe Samurai!
Chiyo was a busy girl. 

Almost every day after the Academy, instead of going home, she went not towards her own district, but towards that where rich and powerful people of the village lived. Unlike the rest, they did not live in small apartments in those concrete and steel buildings. No, they could afford mansions built in the traditional style, or the innovation-filled high-tech, or in whatever other way they deemed fancy. Representatives of rich and powerful Ame clans lived here. The girl hated going to this place. And yet, duty was duty. Besides, it was one of the few ways she got to see her parents - they often lived in the compound they worked at. The mansion the girl approached was large, had three stories, and a small yard with live plants and a pond. Given how expensive space was in Amegakure, it was a symbol of wealth and power. Above the gates was the symbol of Araikettei. The living sword clan. Chiyo looked up at it and frowned. 

Hmpf.

The gatekeeper let her in. Chiyo walked through, and towards the servant quarters. In there, she had to change into a kimono appropriate to the establishment. Her own one was simple, purple with a turquoise trim. The one she was given was milky white, with expensive embroidery, and a black sash. She didn't like it either, but rules were rules. All servants had to look presentable. Having changed, and tying her hair back in a bun, the girl went to go see her parents. Their meeting was brief. Both were busy. But it was enough to exchange a few words. How's the academy and all that. A hug. Daily dose of affection for the day. 

After that, Chiyo took some of their duties. With a broom, she went to sweep the backyard. Away from prying eyes, and from the eyes of the owners of this place. It was peaceful in a way. Still, she could hear steps coming from behind. Voices she didn't recognize. Guests? Chiyo turned around, to see who it was. Still holding a broom in hand.
0bsu! has written 148 posts
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 5:08:23 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull
age 12 years old birthday 9/21/-4sd rank Academy Student occupation Being Nosy

A Diamond In The Rough

Chiyo's classmate stood just on the wooden porch the other student seeming as taken by surprise by her appearance as she was their own. Her name, as Chiyo would probably recall from the role calls, was Tenchi Kyoko. A bit of a bookish overachiever when she wasn't playing stoic clan heir. The Azure haired girl having donned just as traditional a kimono as Chiyo for her visit though hers was a rich blue with a white obi and a rice field in the rain depicted in embroidery along the hem. The Tenchi clan having always been particularly proud of their place as Amegakure's founding clan. Beside her stood an old man stooped with age who shared Kyoko's pink eyes and perhaps had once had blue hair akin to the girl's own, but it had long since gone white with age. 

"Why don't you remain here with your classmate Kiseki-chan while your Ojīsan handles affairs today. There will be plenty of time yet for you to shadow meetings in the future." The old man, clearly Kyoko's grandfather spoke his voice kind as he reached out to rest his had atop the azure haired girl's head as Kyoko worried her lower lip and glanced between him and Chiyo. She'd never had any personal issues with the other girl, but the white haired Kunoichi had always given her somewhat of a cold shoulder for reasons she'd never quite understood. 

Finally gathering her courage so as to not worry her grandfather Kyoko dipped her head in acknowledgement. "I'll be here when you return then Ojīsan. I hope the meeting goes well." She murmured as the elder chuckled, gave her head one last pat, then wandered off. Leaving the silence to stretch between Chiyo and Kyoko as the azurette sized the other academy student up.

"Hello." She offers a tentative greeting. "Jinjōi-san right?"

Made by Keen of NFB

Keen has written 82 posts
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 5:35:02 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
age 13 years old birthday July, 4th rank Academy Student occupation Wannabe Samurai!
Oh, it's her.

Chiyo knew Kyoko alright, even if the other girl didn't seem entirely sure of her name. Whenever they made a role-call before class, they called out the names of students and had them respond. The names of important kids were always shouted louder than the rest. As if to announce to the others of their importance and presence. Chiyo steeled herself as she saw the girl and her grandfather approach. The latter deciding to leaving her here instead of taking her with him to do clan things. She bowed respectfully, as the etiquette demanded, and repeated the phrase she learned and spoke many times.

"Greetings, Tenshi-san. My name is Jinjoi Chiyo. Welcome to the Araikettei household."

Back at the academy, Chiyo never kowtowed like that. But here it was different. Any misbehaving on her part would have affected her parents' standing in the household. The masters were very strict, and reprimands were harsh. So, for their sake, the girl had to swallow her pride and even try and pull a small smile on her face. She wasn't a very good liar though, it looked a bit rubbery and forced. Once the adults left to discuss their own things and clan affairs, the two children were left alone. An awkward silence held between them. Unsure of what to say, Chiyo's hands moved, making the broom do a sweeping motion, as she continued what she used to do before the arrival of new guests. Gathering leaves and pebbles into a neat pile.

"Is there... something I can do for you, Tenshi-san?" - Chiyo squeezed out of herself, while not lifting her eyes up. In truth, she did not know what to do in this situation. Had never been in one before. Kids from other families came and went. But this was the first time a classmate of hers showed up.  
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 5:48:41 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

The awkwardness was certainly mutual as Kyoko did her best to remain still and composed rather then shifting from foot to foot like an antsy child. Her eyes darting over Chiyo, then over her surroundings, then back to Chiyo. "You can call my Kyoko-san if you would like." She offers hoping to ease the even stiffer then usual manners of her classmate as she ponders their greeting. Maybe the Jinjōi family was a branch of the Araikettei household just like how her family was part of the Uten branch of the Tenchi. She'd liked the sound of Uten Kyoko better then Tenchi Kyoko, but the second the possibility of her wielding the clans Kekkei Genkai came to pass she'd come to belong to the clan as a whole.

"Do your parents have you do chores as part of training too? I could help you if you like. We'd get done faster together." The blue haired Kunoichi-to-be offers as she takes a careful step forward wooden gata clacking quietly on the porch floor. Kyoko offering what she hopes is a regal and genuine smile though the expression comes off a bit more stony and uncertain then she'd probably intended. "I didn't realize the Jinjōi were a branch clan of the Araikettei. Does your family have a particular jutsu style they specialize in?" She questions her curiosity and thirst for knowledge getting the better of her.

Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 6:31:35 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
"N-no!"

Chiyo seemed almost panicky, as she pulled the broom a bit away from Kyoko, as she tentatively moved forward to 'help out'. She then sighed and straightened herself out, regaining her composure. "I mean... it would not look good for a house guest to do chores. It would be considered a... a servant's negligence. And besides, there's not much..."  - the girl looked away, towards the neat pile of leaves she was gathering. The question about it being a training kind of thing made her shrug. "Tis not training. I don't think so. My parents work here. If I help them out we get to go home earlier. And I get to see them more too." - Chiyo briefly explained her situation. Not much point in hiding it now - Kyoko learned of where she and her parents worked! Though... she seemed confused on the nature of their relationship with the household. She assumed they were a branch servant clan!

"The Jinjoi are not part of Araikettei, no. We're our own family. My parents just ... work here." - she nodded towards the big mansion towering over the backyard. Returning to her chores for a bit, she gathered the leaves and put them in a baggie, which was then promptly tied up and carried away to a container, for disposal. "If we had a special jutsu, we wouldn't be working here. The village would ... give us things for just existing." - the girl added, as she went about with a broom again. She didn't look or sound very happy though. She almost sounded ... scornful, if anything. Her little hands digging into the broomhandle. 

Sighing, Chiyo reminded herself. She spoke too much.

"While I'm wearing this uniform though, I'm considered a 'servant' too. And you're the guest. Why are you here, anyway? Your grandfather doesn't seem to want you to learn anything from being here."

An idle question, to pass the time. Better than the awkward silence earlier.
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 24, 2022 19:03:56 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

'I'm learning a lot right now actually,' Kyoko thinks as she observes her classmate, but does not voice such thoughts aloud. The reason for her Grandfather leaving her behind slowly becoming apparent as she watched her classmate go about their chores. "My apologizes Jinjōi-san. I didn't mean to upset or insult you. I'm a bit ignorant on how other clans function." She murmurs hoping to soothe Chiyo's ruffled feathers as she offers the other girl a polite dip of her head in apology.

"Are both your parents active Shinobi? The clan must pay them and you very well to work here between missions." She hedges carefully scoping out the minefield of a conversation ahead of them uncertain quite where to place her feet, but hoping that perhaps if she could traverse it she might get to have a real conversation with Chiyo.

At the other girl's question though she can't help, but grin. Glancing around exaggeratedly to check for listening ears she then turns back to Chiyo lifting a hand to half shield her mouth and stage whispers just loud enough for the other academy student to hear. "One of the Elder's of this clan's grandson's has a crush on me, but he's a useless bum. They always try to use these meetings to matchmake us and my Grandfather has to spend the whole meeting restraining his killing intent. I think Ojisan wants to get actual things done today." She explains before covering her mouth fully to muffle a laugh. 

"I don't like that boy much and I pricked his hand with some senbon last time he tried to grab mine, but that seems to have only encouraged him." Kyoko adds with a scowl as she drops her hand and carefully smooths her features once more.

Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 10:40:27 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
"No, my parents aren't shinobi. They're just... servants. Once I become a full shinobi, they won't need to be servants here." - Chiyo replied, her eyes studying Kyoko for any sign of belittlement. The girl loved her parents a lot. And far too often did she hear kids from shinobi families badmouth her for being from a non-shinobi family. Just another layer of prejudice for her to defeat! With a stick. She tilted her head, hearing Kyoko whisper things to her about the boss's grandson. She leaned in closer, to hear it, eyes wide.

Is she... trying to make me badmouth house-owners in front of herself?

Chiyo may be a bit too paranoid. Kyoko did seem nice and apologetic enough. Much unlike... that boy that often hung around. The grandson of the Araikettei family head who owned the complex. He was haughty, and very much believed that it was his 'destined place' to be where he was, rather than something to actively work for. Had some talent, sure, but no discipline. She did not like him. At all. And it was only her parents working here that prevented her from showing him the end of a stick. The boy steered clear of her in the Academy, but home he often made up for it by being a snooty douche. Seemed like this pink-eyed girl had the right idea about him too. Prick the prick! It made her chuckle.

"Young master..." - Chiyo trailed off, as she slowly walked along the side of the courtyard and swept the leaves there into another neat pile; "... Is very proud of his clan. And the accomplishments of those that came before him..." - she chose her words carefully. "So much so he thinks those less ... inherited to not be a match for him. I think he thinks you an equal though, if he likes you. You're clan heir after all."

Something no doubt Kyoko never failed to mention, whilst at the academy. Then, the implications hit in. Which made the girl almost drop her broom and look at Kyoko in sheer surprise. The facade of thoughtful politeness almost completely falling.

"W-w-wait wait wait. Matchmaking? Isn't it for... marriage or something? Aren't you like... about my age?" 

Chiyo's face flushed crimson. At this age, she thought, girls like herself or Kyoko shouldn't even think about boys in such ways! Much less consider marriage! It was... scandalous!

last edit by Jinjōi Chiyo on Jul 25, 2022 10:46:20 GMT -5
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 18:24:30 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

"Servants?" Kyoko questions with a small frown. That seemed like a rather rude way to refer to essential help. Her mother would have cuffed her ears if she'd dared called any of the civilian members of their clan such things. Chiyo's expectant stare somewhat unnerving as the girl tried to figure out how she was expected to respond. Perhaps she was expected to be scornful? But she couldn't really find it within herself to do so even if lack of scorn gave away her perhaps less then perfect raising outside the clan.

"I think that's an honorable profession. Though my clan usually refers to people based on their craft." She admits her fingers fidgeting nervously with the hem of her kimono sleeve. Though Chiyo's surprise at the thought of matchmaking startles a little laugh out of Kyoko.

"That's the same face I made the first time too!" Kyoko quips muffling her giggles with her hand. "Cradle betrothals aren't really all that uncommon in clans though no ones ever married until they're legal adults. I think the Young Master rather then liking me feels like he's owed me." She explains sticking her tongue out and pulling a face in disgust. "If things in the Tenchi clan were like they used to be we probably would have been betrothed as kids, but my Ojisan did away with such things when my Mother ran away from the clan to be with my Father. Nowadays if there's betrothals in the Tenchi clan they're just temporary agreements with either party able to back out when they come of age." Kyoko adds as she hops up on a little rock wall ringing one of the flower beds, her arms spread wide sleeves trailing like butterfly wings as she balances on the rock for fun. 

"Are you sure you don't want help? We could race afterwards. If anyone asks I'll tell them I put you up to it." She coaxes with a wide grin.
Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 19:15:45 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
"... Eeeeesh~ Master Ren told me about clan deciding one's destiny. Never thought he meant it quite so literally!"

Chiyo had a grimace on her face, as if she ate something yucky, and moved her shoulders uncomfortably. How sad it must be, for your family to decide one's future husband like that, before you could even walk and talk! She looked over her shoulder, at that mansion behind them, and then back at Kyoko, speaking in a quiet, hushed voice. "I wouldn't want to marry young Master, no matter how nice his house looks. But you didn't hear it from me." - the girl said, and gave the other a wink. Despite being of clan, she seemed to be alright. And she spoke highly of her parents too! It made Chiyo grin a little. And feel a little guilty about giving Kyoko a cold shoulder before. She rubbed her forearm, and looked to the side, awkwardly.

"Thanks for... saying what you did. Don't tell anyone that I work here, though! You might be nice but other clan-kids aren't! And I've been in detention more than any delinquent already!"

The two shared another good laugh, and Kyoko ran across the garden before hopping on one of the stones. Chiyo continued to sweep the backyard and gather the leaves. At least, until the other girl offered to help out, once more, and play after. It would be nice! She never got to play while on duties here. And if they finished early, they'd have some time. Now that Chiyo liked her new friend, she was much more receptive towards receiving help as well! 

"Well... if you say so! Wait here, I'll bring another broom!" - Chiyo pushed the one she had into Kyoko's hands, and went back into the house for a brief moment. She soon came back with another one, and a broad grin on her face.

"Alright, lets do this! Once we're done, I'll show you a game! It's much better than racing, promise!" 
last edit by Jinjōi Chiyo on Jul 25, 2022 19:16:48 GMT -5
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 19:44:12 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

Kyoko follows Chiyo's gaze and wrinkles her nose at the house sticking her tongue out playfully. "I wouldn't want to marry him even for a big house. All those empty rooms just seem kinda wasteful and good only for collecting dust." She stage whispers back to Chiyo with a grin. "And even if you filled them all with people you'd go nuts with so many folks under foot. No thanks. I'll take a medium sized house or an apartment any day." Kyoko quipped with a decisive nod. Her grin only widening into a true smile her carefully crafted clan heir mask cracking at the prospect of a real friend. 

"Sure! I love games! My Dad taught me a lot of training games to help with things! Maybe we can trade?" She offers waving to her... friend. Yeah she thinks maybe she really did make a friend this time as Chiyo runs off to grab the broom. When she returns Kyoko takes it with gusto and circled around Chiyo working the yard from the opposite side so the two could meet in the middle with their piles. Moving with the sort of experience at chores not usually seen in more spoiled clan shinobi. Then again who else was expected to sweep her front porch if not her.

"And don't worry I won't tell anyone. As far as I'm concerned you've just got a cool after school job." Kyoko promises with a wink.
Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 20:11:38 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
The two would be done sweeping the yard in less than ten minutes!

Normally, it took Chiyo about half an hour, but with extra help and extra motivation, she was twice as fast with her duties. Soon enough, all leaves were put into neat piles, then into packages, and dumped into a special trash can. Which left at least 20 minutes of spare time to use for playing. Wiping sweat off of her forehead with a sleeve, she looked around to see if she missed any spots. Nope! The yard was pristine, and perfect for what they were about to do! Sitting down, Chiyo lifted the broom, brush-upwards, and pointed towards where it was attached to the handle.

"Alright, so! To play the game, we'll need these! There's a small nail that keeps the broom attached. It's not that hard to remove!" - she said, grabbing the nail with her fingers. Wiggling it a few times and pulling on it, before it came out. Once it did, she was able to remove the brush, and be left with a straight, solid-looking stick! It was about Chiyo's height. The girl stood up, and held the stick by one end, giving a few swooshes with it in the air. One could tell, she's done this before. Many times, possibly.

"You do the same! Once you get your stick, we could play Samurai! Rules are pretty simple - whoever scores a hit three times, wins! The area is limited to the backyard of course. If anyone sees us with these inside the house, I'm gonna be in a heap of trouble. Oh, and don't hit too hard. These things could leave a bruise!" - the white-haired girl explained, before taking a set steps away and taking a very swords-person-like stance, with the stick in front of herself.

"So, you in? Shobu! Shobu-da!"
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 20:28:39 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

"If anyone sees us this was totally entirely my idea and you're just humoring me as a good host would." Kyoko assures her as she lifts her own broom to inspect it. Sure enough right there near the base was the nail her friend was talking about and with a bit of wiggling and twisting Kyoko eventually gets hers free. Disconnecting the brush head from the heft of the broom she sets it aside so they could put them back together later without incident. Last thing she wanted was for her new friend to get in trouble

"All right! Shobu~ Shobu-da." Kyoko calls out mimicking her friends stance. Her own footing and manner far from as polished as Chiyo's, but her smile is enthusiastic and she decides to risk trying the first strike. Planning to lunge forward akin to how she'd seen the Samurai in books do in a straight strike aimed at Chiyo's shoulder. Truthfully she's fairly certain she's not going to win this game, but at least she'd have fun playing. 

"Here I come Chiyo! Hiya!" She called out making her move as she shifted her feet kimono sleeves hiked up just a bit and moved in for the strike. Putting her speed to use to dart forward with the intention of closing the gap first.

Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 21:02:53 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
Chiyo always felt the rush of adrenaline whenever someone accepted her challenge.

It was so very exciting! One-on-one, with equal weapons... Much better than beating up unarmed bullies back at the Academy with her wooden sword! Or beat up wooden dummies while practicing forms! Wooden mannequins couldn't fight back, and the only 'training' she could get out of bullying the bullies was getting used to hurting people. So, when Kyoko got herself ready, the battle was about to begin! Chiyo already imagined the scenery. A nice garden, two warriors measuring each other up. Something about 'dishonoring my honor', or some other line she heard in a cheap theater depicting a Land of Iron drama. 

She let Kyoko have the opening blow. 

Oh, oh, I know this one! - went through Chiyo's mind as she watched the swing, as though in slow motion. It was a classic diagonal up-down shoulder slash! And she knew how to defend against that one! As the strike happened, she raised her hands holding the handle up, and pointed the end of her stick down to the side, where the blow was happening. Protecting the shoulder and leaving her stick at a steep angle, for Kyoko's attack to slide down off if it, towards the ground. That lunge of hers probably meant over-committing, and once the blow was deflected, Chiyo was in a good position for a counter-attack! After all, her hands were already above her head, all she needed to do was bring them down for an attack!

"Heah!" - the white-haired girl breathed out, audibly, as she deflected the strike to her shoulder, took a step back, and brought her own stick down. All in one, practically fluid motion. Just as practiced! Keeping Kyoko within striking distance, and aiming to return the favor with a stick to the shoulder herself! This one though would be harder to defend against, due to the misposition of the 'sword'!
Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 25, 2022 23:03:49 GMT -5
Tenchi Kyoko
Tenchi Kyoko Avatar
groupnull

A Diamond In The Rough

Kyoko grinned widely as Chiyo parried. The move just like something out of the local drama theater. The only thing missing being some one liner about how Chiyo would fight honorably to their last breath and how dare Kyoko think she could be felled so easily with, but a single blow. For a moment Kyoko mourns that she doesn't know any genjutsu. Some koto music would be really apt right now. A quick lightning fast refrain followed by some flutes and "Gack!" Kyoko exclaims in surprise more then pain as Chiyo in her distraction brings her sword down on her shoulders. The Azurette too slow in bringing her own weapon of choice up to block resulting in a good solid strike. She understands now why Chiyo cautioned her to be gentle with her strikes. She didn't think broom wood was so solid.

"That was really cool Chiyo-san!" Kyoko encourages flashing her friend a grin as she steadies her feet once more. Quickly realizing that she doesn't stand a chance matching Chiyo blade for blade she resolves to play to her speed instead. This time Kyoko jukes to the right with a fake swing at Chiyo's right arm only to pull her strike and skip backwards trying to force the other girl to over extended as she had done before.

Made by Keen of NFB

Of Servants and Masters [Obs/Keen]Jul 26, 2022 5:07:10 GMT -5
Jinjōi Chiyo
Jinjōi Chiyo Avatar
groupRain Shinobi
"Eh-heh, I know right? Samurai are cool!"

Chiyo almost squealed in delight. She was a huge samurai fangirl. And getting to play out as one of them and use their stuff, even in a mock duel, felt like the ultimate roleplaying experience! And besides... being able to hit someone with a stick was kind of satisfying too... It didn't hurt too much, right? They could continue, right? Seeing Kyoko get back into a fighting pose made Chiyo mirror her, and wait for another attack. Maybe if she did not attack and only defend she'd look even cooler! So she let the second swing come her way. Once more putting her sword in the way at an angle to let it slide off, and then counterattack, and...

"Hey!"

Chiyo reacted on automatism, and made a step forward with a swing, which went right past Kyoko's silhouette, without reaching her. "You tricked me! That was a... a FAINT?!"

The girl would practically see Chiyo's eyes become wide, pupils practically replaced by glowing stars. 

"It's just like what the main hero did in Samurai Showdown 7 Limited December Edition! Legendary!" - the girl would eventually stop gushing, as they were still in the middle of a fight! If no counter-counter-attack came while she was running her mouth, she would cough and get back to her stance, putting her stick between herself and Kyoko.

"Ahem. I know that trick now though, so don't expect me to fall for it again!"

last edit by Jinjōi Chiyo on Jul 26, 2022 5:16:58 GMT -5