There's Always More Training... [Ikana]

compose a reply
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 10:02:11 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
"I will bring pride to the Mayonaka Clan!"
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 19 years old birthday December 26th, 1004 rank Genin occupation
Homare is, very gradually, becoming somewhat accustomed to speaking to other people, but it's still always a struggle for her. She's not sure if she'll ever get used to speaking to people she hasn't already met before and become good acquaintances with, and she's even less sure that she'll ever have friends that aren't her two adoptive parents. They were in fact the ones that had suggested that she go to this shop in the first place, to meet this Ikana woman who had only recently become a Chuunin, and also had some highly effective things for sale, including some seals that could be used to instantly bring her weapons to her hands, instead of having them attached to her waist, and therefore capable of being removed from her person if she's caught unawares. Homare checks her own small purse of cash with a little pat to feel the coins shake inside of it; there isn't a lot of ryo, but there might be enough to pay for a few things, or maybe at least one of those seals. It didn't help that she hadn't really been involved in any missions at all for a long time. Homare sighs softly, her upper arms rising a bit in a shrug. She'd heard that she was one of very few Mayonaka that refused to hide her four extra arms, but if she was going to make the Mayonaka clan any less stigmatized for their appearance, she was going to have to make people accustomed to seeing multiple arms, as jarring as it seemed to be for some people.

The Mayonaka steels herself for meeting this stranger, squaring her shoulders and raising her head to look straight ahead before she shoves the door open... a little harder than she'd meant to, causing the door to crash open, then slam back directly in front of her face. Homare stands completely still for a moment, feeling blood rush to her cheeks in embarrassment, before much more slowly and gently opening the shop door. Thankfully, it seems that her harsh action hadn't caused anything to break, at least, other than breaking the silence that had been laying across the shop like a soft blanket.

"Miss Ikana, I've come to shop."

Homare stands there with her white kimono and its purple floral pattern along her left shoulder, long blue hair hanging along her back, with the two strands framing her face and trailing over her chest, with a visible dark blue bodysuit covering her neck, and with sleeves over all six of her arms. At the moment, she had her plain katana and her shinobi axe on the left side of her hip, attached to the corset around her waist. At only 5'3", she wasn't really all that intimidating, but it was almost embarrassing that she was nearly as short as the girl behind the counter. Granted, there was only an estimated four year difference between the two, but Homare still felt like she was perhaps a little too old to be a genin, and was reminded of that idea seemingly every day. Her two upper arms are clasped behind her back, the middle two crossed over her chest. The lowest two arms are the ones that she typically uses for everyday actions, and so she's closing the door again behind herself, ensuring that none of the intense humidity of Kirigakure's general atmosphere fills the shop with moisture.

"I have also been told that you have some skill in Ninjutsu and with weapons...?"

While her tone is querying, her face doesn't change much from its serious look, probably hoping with intense embarrassment that she can try and make this Ikana woman forget about her initial attempt at entering the shop just now. Not likely, but a girl could dream.
Babs has written 118 posts
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 10:20:06 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday January 7th, -2 SD rank Chuunin occupation Operations Team 2
Today was yet another slow day for Ikana. At times there were bumrushes of people coming in to buy things. Usually before or after a mission, especially since it was common for ninja tools to be lost in the throes of battle. When you used an explosive tag on a kunai, usually the Kunai was lost too. It was a very profitable business, considering about a third of Kirigakure's population for ninja. So when this girl comes in, looking to buy something? That wasn't any particular issue. Though what was a real curiosity was the fact this girl in question had six arms.

That wasn't something Ikana had ever seen before. She blinks from behind her countertop, doubletakes, and then rubs her eyes. "Hai." The small Ikana calls out in a quiet voice. "Quite skilled. If you're here for private lessons, there's quite a bit I can teach. In just about every topic of jutsu. But feel free to look about." The shop was simple but quaint, an old building that was given a fresh sheen of paint. Shinobi no Konbini. The Shinobi Convenience Store. Resting behind the old oakwood counter was a back room which held some of Ikana's more special or commission related works. Often, her and her shadow clones could sit in the back of that place for hours producing seals for people. However, that didn't matter too much.

"Feel free to take a browse." There were weapons of every kind here. Swords. Spears. Axes. Hammers. Staves. Kunai and Shuriken rest inbetween display cases, and there lay several other accessories. Explosive tag bomb balls, flash bombs, and smoke bombs. Makibishi caltrops. Just about anything the conventional ninja was going to need in their career. Even ration packed foods were available as well as other small wares like canteens. Tents. A little slice of paradise.
dandead10 has written 642 posts
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 10:46:34 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare is quickly drawn to some of the larger weapons, having been told by her adoptive parents that it might be good for her to grab up some much more powerful weapons since she could wield particularly large and heavy weapons with two hands each, and still have a pair of hands left over for using handseals. That said, it seems that a lot of the weapons among those sold by the Shinobi no Konbini are more generalized tools of war; this made a lot of sense, really, since it would be highly expensive to purchase and sell more specialized or particularly large weapons, rather than basic ninja tools, and the basic ninja tools would be much easier to buy and sell. This Ikana kunoichi was certainly sound in her understanding of business. Mostly, though, Homare was personally disappointed, although she does pick up one of the tools described as a "shinobi umbrella", which looks more like a fan at first. Homare gives its latch a jiggle in order to test its firmness, and she can feel that the tool is under intense pressure. With that in mind, she holds it away from the other things she's looking at before unlocking it, causing the metal plates to slide all the way around in an instant to form a shield. Extremely useful, and certainly a purchase Homare is willing to make! Even the purple design on the front is quite fitting.

While there were certainly some larger weapons, they weren't really anything that she hadn't seen before. She moves on to some of the more simple tools, instead, and finds at least a few seals, which did pique her interest, but not for long; none were apparently the type that were quite so quick-deploying. She decides that although some of this equipment is quite nice, the shield umbrella might just be the purchase she needs, especially as she feels it has some ability to respond to chakra. It had taken some working, but she'd eventually managed to bring the metal plates back around into its fan-like appearance before she took the umbrella back up to Ikana's position at the countertop.

"To be completely honest, Miss Ikana, I'd heard that you had some other seals somewhere here, the kind that allow a shinobi to instantly wield weapons and tools placed inside of them...? In any case, I'd be quite interested in learning more Suiton techniques from you. There was a rumor that you were quite skilled in that element of ninjutsu."

Her query was somewhat awkward, but that was what one could usually expect from the normally very introverted Homare.
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 12:11:27 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
age 14 years old birthday January 7th, -2 SD rank Chuunin occupation Operations Team 2
Ikana didn't pay Homare much mind as she began playing around and investigating. Instead. she took the liberty to close her eyes and rest her burning retinas. She didn't get much sleep as of recent, so it had felt like a relief to close them for a bit. Until she asked about her more specialized equipment. Ah. Taking the liberty to stand up, she looks the Mayonaka up and down. Sliding her own sleeves up along her long sleeve shirt, she reveals bracers. Where as soon as she touches the underside in a sweeping motion, a Shuriken appears before her fingers. "That's right."

"The lightning flash creation seal is a more complicated formula, but with equipment like this, you'll be able to draw any form of weapon instantly. It reduces the weight of travel, and when bringing forth Kunai or Shuriken, it instantly attaches wire onto them as well. An excellent way to bring hidden weapons. A benefit to the craft. Some of the finest quality seals I produce. You could afford equipment like this for an entire C-Rank's mission's worth of pay, assuming it's on the higher end. So it can be pretty pricy."

"Then again. You get what you pay for." As if to show an example, she sweeps her arms and immediately from her seals, a half dozen Shuriken shoot out towards a small wooden target she has arranged along the end of her building. "As for Suiton techniques? I am a master of the element. I've many, many water release jutsu under my arsenal. I'm skilled enough to do Suiton jutsu even in areas without large amounts of water. Just by drawing it from the air." She sold her abilities as high tier as to lure potential customers. This girl was no different.
last edit by Miyamoto Ikana on Sept 16, 2023 12:12:29 GMT -5
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 12:24:53 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare's eyes widen when Ikana reveals her lightning flash creation seals on her bracers, causing a shuriken to appear in her fingers, in the perfect placement for her to be able to throw the tool. Now here was something she was extremely interested in, a seal she could use to keep her katana and axe hidden on her wrists, able to be pulled out at a moment's notice and keep them otherwise out of the way when she wasn't in combat. The sound of that price being mentioned is somewhat disheartening, however; she would need at least two for the weapons she currently had, maybe more eventually if she decided to have even more weapons, or even an arsenal if she decided to go with that level of weaponry skill, and she hadn't even completed a mission, singular, as of yet. Homare just didn't have the funds for it right now, although the sight of her throwing a half dozen shuriken into a wooden target was certainly very exciting... Well, she'd just have to have it.

["I can certainly see that they're worth that price, Miss Ikana... I... may have to get back to you on the prices and on payment for such a useful seal. As it is, this umbrella shield I've found will be almost certainly within my budget."

Homare makes a mental note to complete several C-rank missions... even though she'll probably need someone else to come with her, if for no other reason than to make sure she doesn't get overwhelmed. The mission board might not even allow her to accept a C-rank mission until she's completed other, lower level missions first, but she would have to try and convince them otherwise. Then her attention comes back at the mention of Suiton techniques, and the fact that Ikana was capable of using atmospheric water for her Suiton jutsu, an ability that her adoptive father had shown, but which Homare herself wasn't capable of doing with her level of skill in Ninjutsu.

"Is there any chance you could train me in the use of Suiton techniques, Miss Ikana?"

Internally, Homare hoped that Ikana wouldn't ask for too much monetary compensation for all of this... She was already in the hole when it came to needing to pay for the lightning flash creation seals she'd want to purchase from Ikana in the future, as well as perhaps some weapons from the younger ninja. It was actually becoming almost annoying to Homare that so many younger ninja were clearly advancing above her skill level, not that there was much Homare could do about it except to train with them to improve her own capabilities and not look quite so... unskilled in her use of ninjutsu and weaponry.
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 14:27:15 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
"I'm glad that you think so." She said rather lightheartedly, taking the liberty to step forth and swiftly reseal those weapons back into her bracers with just as much ease. "Though. I couldn't help but notice. You have three sets of arms. It will cost you quite considerably to buy a set of bracers for each. Never mind what other wares I have in store that might be of...interest." Implying that she had other wares that might entice the spider. Regardless. There was a moment's pause when Homare had asked if Ikana might teach her Suiton jutsu.

"That depends. What do you have to offer?" She was curious on what the girl might promise. Money was of course always valuable, but to a girl such as Ikana, money was far from everything. She had lived in an impoverished background, a slum in her earliest days. She found that money allowed for the purchase of luxuries, but the value of luxuries was less to her. She didn't seek the finest of clothes, or the greatest of homes. Other than simple basic comforts, she found little use for the extravagant. Instead, she valued other things. Not to say she was overly sentimental, but the concepts of service, favors, honor, and duty. Discipline. Those were all things that enticed her.

"Since you mentioned the difficulty of budget, perhaps something can be arranged. I just want to know what you think training. A private tutor would be worth."
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 17:31:33 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare's hands flex, one by one, when Ikana mentions the fact that she actually has six arms, and so the cost of providing her with that many seals would likely be quite high. There's also the suggestion that there are other wares that Homare might like as well, something else she has yet to consider. The genin looks back down at her new metal fan-shield, but she's not entirely certain she could currently handle anything else that's at the same level of complexity. With so many arms, too much complexity in the weapons she wields at the moment might be a concern. A little voice in the back of her head suggests that it doesn't mean she can't learn to use them later, and that it would be quite useful to start training with them now, especially if this price is right. And it certainly sounds like money isn't even strictly necessary, with Ikana asking what she has to offer, with the underlying suggestion that other forms of payment might be accepted.

"As a member of the Mayonaka clan, and particularly one with the full expression of the clan's kekkei genkai, I'm able to produce an astoundingly strong and lightweight natural filament that you might find extremely useful, and valuable besides..."

Homare decides against also pointing out that, at the moment, she's not quite so knowledgeable on how exactly that spider silk is created, but her parents were able to do it, so she might as well learn to make it sometime soon; perhaps on her own or with one of her other genin teammates during training. Then again, if she has to make spider silk as payment for both the Suiton training and the other expensive weapons and seals, it might be more costly than the monetary price. There's still other ways to pay, of course, that don't even involve physical goods...

"There's also always the option of giving to you something that's given to every sensei: a sense of duty and loyalty from their student..."

This was also a very hefty price, but one that is both more readily available, and something that she doesn't think will cause too much conflict for her. After all, they're both Kirigakure ninja, both loyal to the same village. What's the worst that Ikana could even ask of Homare?
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 17:54:15 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
These were all very interesting propositions, and Ikana felt as if she could work with this. She hadn't heard much of the Mayonaka clan, but to have a scrappy and business oriented person could make it far in this line of work. Especially with her training. The young business owner thought about it for a period of time, as if questioning the value of any of the things that she so offered. Thinking long term about business and what she might be able to garner. Namely; that if silk was provided for the training, it would be a valuable product, but something only available in short term supply. Once the debt was paid, that would be all the silk she ever had.

Debts were something diligent souls sought to pay off. But a tie. A bond of loyalty and servitude on the other hand? Such were ones that could scantily be repaid, and if leaving a strong impression, such values could last a lifetime. "Then prove yourself good and loyal to me, and a dutiful learner. If you do that for me, I'll provide you all of the equipment you asked for and train you in all that you want to know. Be mine, and only mine, and I'll make you strong." Nodding her head, she proceeds to note something else. "And if you're interested in making money yourself?"

"Might I propose you working here with me in this shop. As a clerk in your offtime, and you might produce silk that we'll use to turn into fine products. Because I'll do the work processing it and selling it from this store, I get a share of the profit. And you can keep the rest." If that wasn't an interesting proposition, then Ikana didn't do a good job learning business.
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 19:08:40 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare finds the deal astoundingly acceptable at first when she's simply asked to prove herself loyal to the Chuunin shopkeep, with just showing herself to be a diligent trainee being all that's apparently necessary to become her student for now, until one of the last demands, that she be Ikana's and only Ikana's, the wording of which sounds less like a business proposition and more like some kind of vow, which really isn't something the genin feels comfortable with. She isn't really even ready to promise herself to another man, much less to a younger girl in order to learn some Ninjutsu and strain some equipment.

"Maybe let's pump the brakes a little and realize that I'm already working under a sensei assigned to me by the village, a village we're both also subservient to, Miss Ikana. I can neither be yours, not only yours. Dutiful and loyal, yes, but I'm not exclusionary with either my duty nor my loyalty. There are duties and loyalties that exceed you, me, even my own sensei and my parents. That will always be the case."

It was somewhat rare for Homare to speak so much on her own and even more rare for the genin to put her foot down, especially for a deal that was very nearly free
But she wasn't as foolish as other genin, and she knew better than to accept the first or the second price offered by merchant. The third offer was often the most reasonable one, or at least more reasonable than the initial offer. The next suggestion of her working for Ikana in her off time, however, was certainly more appealing, although she'd be giving up her free time as well as her silk, it sounds like. Of course, she'd never actually stated that she needs to train to be able to produce silk, so this deal was simultaneously only weakly in her favor, since the money she gains from this deal will seemingly be predicated more on her production of silk. Still, there's more on this table for her to gain than there is for her to lose, and with only a little Ryo to her name and much less that she can actually give up, she has few options.

"Very well, Miss Ikana. I find this offer satisfactory for me."

Despite her words, Homare feels slightly distrustful of the Chuunin; something about her feels... incredibly calculating. She might be the spider, but it feels like she's the one getting caught in a web.
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 16, 2023 19:26:22 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
"You seem to misunderstand..." Ikana states, slowly walking to the door that the Mayonaka struggled to close earlier. "I'm not asking you to jeopardize your loyalty to the village, the person you were assigned to. Your family. Nor your duties. I ask of you to be mine in the same way a teacher has a disciple. A figure of adoration. Though...I suppose I could see why you'd see it the way you did." Ikana looks out the glass of the door, and she speaks forth. A small, half hearted chuckle as her eyes look lazily out in the warm autumn.

"I came from nothing, had no one. And will likely return to nothing. I'd like to be treated well and remembered fondly by someone. So that when I die, I won't be forgotten so soon." Waving her hand dismissively at that thought, she proceeds to open the door with a ring of her bell. "But you can decide the level of respect and value you have for me after I show you my worth. Come. I'll beat my techniques into you. But the moment you complain and choose to separate. You will not get another chance. Opportunities seldom come more than once." She was prepared to take her to one of the Chuunin training grounds, one more suited for larger scale training.

Though, as she walked, she'd look through the market with an open eye for any good deals. "Specifics regarding the nature of our relationship. Training. As well as your pay can be negotiated more specifically. If you believe I'd be worth learning from long term. If not? We can negotiate the terms of your payments for my goods afterwards. My name is Kyobona Ikana. It's good to make acquaintance."
last edit by Miyamoto Ikana on Sept 16, 2023 19:27:19 GMT -5
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 18, 2023 9:57:39 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare doesn't really think she misunderstands at all, and that the girl is hiding behind synonymous words with a less worrisome connotation, but she knows better than to call Ikana out on this tactic. After all, she's offering quite a lot for very little. Or at least, very little in the physical sense; this was still quite a lot to ask for in terms of fidelity, and Homare wasn't sure she was comfortable with being Ikana's... disciple had been the word she used, and although Ikana was, in a sense, offering to be her teacher, she thought of disciples as more of a person worshiping a religious leader. The statement that Ikana has nothing and came from nothing was at least heartfelt, and Homare's eyes lose focus as she remembers the day that she learned that her home was gone, her parents were gone, their secrets were the dirt and ash of their corpses, untouchable and unreachable... All from the Sanbi rampage. And Homare had no idea that she was actually speaking to the person she might have considered responsible for that rampage. If that was ever revealed, that might end up being quite a conversation between the two of them.

Homare returns to the present with the sound of the door's invitation bell ringing, and she follows Ikana out, although it might look a bit odd to see a fully grown adult walking behind and to the left of the younger teen, but if anybody found it weird, none of the strangers they passed commented on it. Her eyes narrow at the idea that the techniques will be "beaten" into her. That was not exactly a common offering when it comes to teaching, although she supposes she had literally had lessons beaten into her once or twice at the Academy. There was also the underlying threat that her choosing to separate would cause her tutelage to end forever; this one she at least recognized as also being a method of increasing the sense of scarcity for this offer, even if it was true. She only realized it because it definitely worked. Homare was actually worried that this opportunity was going to be worthwhile. The genin herself is mostly disinterested in the goods of the market. She'd gotten what she came to Ikana's shop for, she no longer needed much in the way of good deals from the other markets, and they couldn't teach her much Suiton anyways.

"The pleasure is mine, Miss Ikana. I believe you are worth learning from, even if it ends up being short-term instead. But we know that Mayonaka silk is not easy to come by, and with it being produced entirely naturally, while the yield isn't going to be high, the combined scarcity and quality of the silk will make the silk very profitable, particularly in the fact that you're paying me only a percentage of what you make from the production of the silk."

Homare pretends to be interested in an apple from one of the fruit vendors, but after carefully turning it over in one of her many hands, she finds that the underside of the core was hiding a very small spider web, with a terrified eight-legged creature clinging desperately to the underside of the fruit. The genin carefully takes up the small garden spider and holds it in her hand before letting it climb over it and up her arm, taking up residence between her kimono and her skin-tight suit; meanwhile, she puts the apple back among the others, with the fruit vendor giving her a nasty look, as though she'd planted the spider there herself.

"Regardless, if I'm going to be taking lessons from you, it's only fair you get my silk in return."
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 18, 2023 13:19:27 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Ikana had lived life in the slums. In the poorest of the poor sections of Kiri, and had often seen and experienced horrible things in her earliest childhood. Orphans stole food from one another. They assaulted one another for the simplest of things, and at times, violence for violence sake. Power. Dominance. The feeling of control; when in reality, they could control very little in their menial lives. It made one incredibly alert, as well as observant. As she walked, she found herself nodding her head.

"I can imagine just how scarce it is. So scarce that you likely don't know how to make it yet." She finds herself walking ahead, as if nothing had been said. Though, she took the liberty to show off her powers of deduction. "If you had the ability to produce that silk, considering its value, I'm sure you would have sold it already. In which case if you did, you'd have no problems affording any fee I set for my goods. Or training. Silk after all is a luxury good. Merchants and nobles alike mewl at such comforts. Designer luxury clothes, especially from rare materials could fetch hundreds of thousands of Ryo."

"Silkworms feed off a diet of mulberry leaves primarily. And can only be collected from after a rather tedious cultivation process. Within a certain climate. Can you imagine how much more valuable silk must be? When it's collected from a spider's ass?"

"I was going to ask you to produce me a sample. But that would have been rather rude..." Shaking her head, she fidgets with her fingers, forming half handed seals as they make their way farther out. Leaving the vestiges of civilization. Out to the training yards. Where she takes the Mayonaka farther, and farther, headed eventually into the more desolate woodlands. A place where they could train in solitude, without disruption. "You wanted a display of my skill. The power I could show you to wield. Before you'd decide on anything. Tell me."

"What is power? And what is power worth to you?"
last edit by Miyamoto Ikana on Sept 18, 2023 13:22:20 GMT -5
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 18, 2023 13:59:16 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare hadn't quite grown up in the slums, but she'd certainly never lived anywhere near the lap of luxury. Especially when she had been living exclusively with her adoptive parents for over two years with little interaction with the ninja life before that point. She was left with very few connections with other ninja, even among her Academy classmates. The only one that she could even remember was now one of her teammates, but at least they got along well enough. For Homare, that was extremely rare. The comments about her silk were worrying, however. If Ikana knew that she wasn't yet skilled enough to produce silk, that might put their deal in jeopardy. So this idea that she wasn't able to produce silk and that this was the reason she had to take on this deal with Ikana needed to be quashed before the Chuunin knew the truth, and she had to get ahead of it quickly, so she looks at Ikana out of the corner of her eye as the spider she'd picked up from the apple simply slips from her kimono and strings down a line of silk from a finger of her lower left hand to travel down to the ground, where it was safer for it.

Sorry, little one.

With a quick flick of her fingers, she manages to flick the spider off of its partially completed web, causing it to whip around and land on the ground somewhere behind them. Then she brings that silk up so that it dangles between their faces; normally the silk would be impossible to see, but against the dark purple floral pattern over Homare's right shoulder, the white silk is clearly visible. This hadn't been planned, but Homare was rather proud for having come up with this idea on the spot when she'd felt the spider making its web along one of her fingers for an escape.

"I'm capable of producing silk, as you can see. What I'm not capable of doing is finding a seller that wants to buy from a member of the 'cursed' Mayonaka clan. And... it's not produced anywhere near my ass. Unlike my long-dead parents, I also have no skill in weaving the silk into clothing, which means all I have to show for all my work is a bundle of thin, unprocessed silk. Regardless of the value of the rare commodity, unprocessed silk is costly to work with. I spin silk, not gold."

With that statement made, Homare bundles the silk between her finger and thumb of the same hand, then tosses the sticky bundle away into a bush after they reach the desolate, dark woodlands. Homare does notice Ikana making all kinds of movements with one of her arms, but can't really tell what exactly is going on, and so she mostly ignores it. Then she hears the question being asked about what power is and what it's worth to her. Homare barely even needs to think about it; she's certain her answer is no different from most other answers.

"Power is the ability to control your own destiny. It's worth quite a lot to me, but it's too vague for a monetary value."

Homare stares unflinchingly at Ikana, turning her head to look at the younger girl, and perhaps wondering now what the hand movements were for.
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 18, 2023 14:13:05 GMT -5
Miyamoto Ikana
Miyamoto Ikana Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
"Silk itself is quite valuable. But if you're telling me you can only produce it at that rate? That simply won't do." She says, looking at the sticky goop before her. "But I suppose I am surprised. I know some merchants that would be willing to purchase just about anything if they can flip it and make some money. Money is universal." Though, that said, as they ventured out into the isolated region, she spoke. "You said you wanted to learn Suiton. There isn't enough here to properly train you in anything." So, with that said, bringing her hands together, she does a few handseals. Before clapping her hands together, and then holding both arms horizontally from her chest, her right arm elevated over her left.

"Suiton: Suishouha!" She calls out loudly, and within a moment? Water would begin to rapidly pull and gather from the molecules in the air, as well as the mist that casually rolls through the area. It twists and rotates around the two like an encapsulating pillar that rotates faster and faster like a hurricane. Until then? It surges outward. A gargantuan amount of water, so large that it might as well be a miniature tidal wave. As tall as some of the trees as it ripples outward at incredibly fast and intimidating speeds. A vortex of pressure and devastation as it cracks and uproots several trees in their entirety. Picking up and uprooting hollows. So powerful was this jutsu that birds for hundreds of feet would begin to soar upwards into the sky and flap away. What was left?

In the wave's path, there now lay a large amount of water, as well as miniature ponds where the previously planted trees were. The area was largely clear and devoid, a perfect area for open training.  "Power is the ability to effect outcomes...You're absolutely right." She proclaims, taking a deep breath. Ikana slowly turns towards the Mayonaka then. "A good showing of my abilities...I suppose."

Name:Suishouha - [Water Release: Water Colliding Wave]
CHAKRA USAGE: Very High
Type:Ninjutsu
Element:Suiton
HANDSEALS: 16
Description:
Suishouha is a Ninjutsu utilizing the Water Element. The user will do a string of hand seals which then causes a large volume of water to materialize out of nowhere. The water can then be directed at their target in a swirling vortex.
last edit by Miyamoto Ikana on Sept 18, 2023 14:15:32 GMT -5
There's Always More Training... [Ikana]Sept 18, 2023 14:36:12 GMT -5
Mayonaka Homare
Mayonaka Homare Avatar
groupMist Shinobi
Homare frowns when Ikana makes a remark about how she simply isn't able to produce enough silk, and she second-guesses her plan to use the spider's fevered and hasty web-spinning for her own use, but it still seems that Ikana at least is taking her statement at her word; although now she knows she's going to need to train a lot to learn how to produce enough silk that it will be satisfactory, but she can poke holes in the suggestion that she could still sell the silk she does produce. Maybe Homare has a head for the marketplace after all, just perhaps not the apparent shrewdness for it. Even so, she has two unspoken questions to answer, but her lies are woven very carefully at least, even if she's not as shrewd.

"I'm having to focus on a conversation and walk while I make that small amount of silk; it's not a normal supply. In any case, many people will buy silk clothing. Fewer will buy woven silk. Fewer still will buy processed silk that hasn't been woven. Even fewer will buy unprocessed, raw silk. And especially not from a 'six-armed freak'."

Homare had to hope that this answer would suffice to fully stamp out her new teacher's curiosity about why she's not able to sell enough silk, silk she's still going to have to spend some time learning to make, to be able to afford the training. On that point, she expects Ikana will find the answer satisfactory. It's still odd talking to a teenage girl about such topics, especially since said teenage girl appeared more knowledgeable about all of this than she was. One would think she'd been watching the silk prices, but that would have been ludicrous. Now, however, their conversation was ended when Ikana brings her hands up, completing her handseals and then clapping them together and pressing them forwards in a horizontal motion, and Homare watches as water coalesces from the air around them and forms into a huge wave of water before rushing forwards, ripping apart the area in front of them both, even tearing trees from their homes in the earth and leaving behind pools of water as the environment itself is changed by the tsunami that this young teen is able to call forth. The sight causes the Mayonaka's eyes to widen with both excitement and fear. Eventually, excitement wins out over her terror as Ikana turns towards her.

"A show of your power, and the power I'll have in the future."

Homare frowns a little; the price is no less steep, but the reward is more impressive...

"I'll still be training to produce more silk, which you'll benefit from directly, and I will benefit from it indirectly. The price you've announced is satisfactory, Miss Ikana."