heavy is the crown

compose a reply
heavy is the crown Nov 13, 2023 5:36:28 GMT -5
Akira
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Akira Avatar
groupnull
age birthday rank occupation

Following an encounter with Tadashi, there was something that needed to be done: Hotarubi needed to speak with the Lord. He was more than aware of his own position in comparison to the man and he had only ever seen the Lord from afar: never discussed. But - Hotarubi knew that on some level he needed to have come across the man's desk in order to become the Chunin he was... Or maybe that was because Hotarubi didn't know how internal village diplomacy worked? Maybe it wa the Jonin Hancho? Maybe it was the academy head instructor and that it was Tadashi?

But, several weeks earlier, Hotarubi had made the request to meet the man. It was such that he hadn't even been given the timeframe but one letter later to his new address and here he was several weeks later. One did not just 'show up' to the Lord - and Hotarubi was in no position to make any demands, not without being reduced to dust himself. The topic of conversation was normal: Hotarubi wanted to size the gap between him and the Lord 2nd. He wanted to see what it would take to seize the crown - he was young and he was hungry for it. Heavy was the crown that he desired.

But that was not all: Hotarubi understood clan politics, and that the Yamakira simply took what they wanted without regard. To join Takigakure no sato they did however need to abide by some base rules and laws: otherwise Hotarubi would not have come. The time had come that Hotarubi believed, truly, his father needed to die. In order for him to continue, he wanted to ensure that he had the support of the Lord as and when it took place. His father, the man was a scoundrel: but he was also power hungry. Unlike Hotarubi, the man would have scorched earth if it meant he got what he wanted and he would have happily been king of the ashes. But - Hotarubi didn't understand why Doro did not try to subjugate Ryu, and the only answer that he could come to in his mind was that Ryu was incomparably stronger.

What did surprise Hotarubi was that he had been invited to the Lord's Manor - not the office he had expected, and as he came upon the house and past what guards there had been - were the number of female women in the area. Not people he had seen before but who would have expected it?

But - astride the huge doors, he knocked. Deep, resounding thuds - waiting to be given entry by a worker or by Ryu himself.

And, like his meeting with Hakurai (the unintentional one) he found himself actually rather nervous, because if Hakurai tickled his fears, what was Ryu in order to keep such a man in line?

Beginning a thread to start a formal transition of power

[googlefont=Open+Sans]
last edit by Akira on Nov 13, 2023 5:37:56 GMT -5
Akira has written 296 posts
heavy is the crown Nov 18, 2023 16:12:24 GMT -5
Ryu
Ryu Avatar
groupnull

[Word Count]: 215
OOC Note(s):N/A
Silence would be the response that awaited the young man, upon knocking on the oak wood door. Yet as a woman appeared upon the other side, the entrance to the vast tunnel that led down deeper into the manor would be open to him. The twisted stairway, constructed of stone and mortar, dampened with water as to show the clear reach of such a path. The walk itself would seem endless, burrowing further downward. It would continue as such until the ceiling itself seemed to vanish, stretching out into a more open area. The sound of water echoed, leading to a stone area that seemed to hold the seated figure of the man whom Hotarubi wished to see.

The Dragon himself...

In deep meditation, his eyes would open as he sensed the boy's presence, closing again before speaking as he began to rise to his feet.

"Many would take the passage of time as a sign...but clearly, you do not... "

Several weeks was quite the time in which to wait, but he imagined that this boy was hardly one to note such signs. As his hands tucked themselves within his robes, he'd nod to give him permission to approach, prompting him to speak.

"Yamakira Hotarubi...."

🐉 [IC COMBAT INFORMATION] 🐉

[Skills/Traits In-Usage]:
    [Items Worn[Passively]]:
      [Sennin Mōdō[Rotation]]:1
        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
          heavy is the crown Nov 18, 2023 18:36:15 GMT -5
          Akira
          Akira Avatar
          groupnull

Hotarubi had waited, and he had continued to pester for an appointment and he had received one: being at the door of the mansion was unnerving to him as he waited. And perhaps, for a time, he wondered about how he would structure what he wanted to say - the fact that nobody answered within a reasonable timeframe meant that he had come to the wrong place? As he thought about leaving, the door opened. He then, followed.

And the route was winding down, down - to a familiarity that he'd seen with some areas in the Yamakira clan. Lit was his path and it felt like he was walking into a trap. It begged the question of what needed to be so far deep. At the very least, this was an environment that Hotarubi felt safe in- surrounded by earth. Even if it was not necessarily comfortable being between it, inside the space the empty halls occupied.

And there he was, just as old and fierce looking than had been the first and only time that Ryu had been seen. Waiting between the precipice of the hall and the opened chamber - and there he stood. Strangely, being welcomed into a space that was not his made some of his ambition evaporate. There were still needs that needed to be discussed.

'He knows my name.' Hotarubi thought to himself.

Waiting to say his piece, even he felt his mouth dry in the presence of his Lord. Hotarubi did not bow, but he felt immense pressure and... human. "Lord," Hotarubi spoke, dryly, recognising the inferiority between himself and the man. It begged to differ: how far that gap was. "I seek immunity from killing my father. The Yamakira don't usually ask - and as a clan matter goes, I don't know if that's in your remit. But Doro is a Shinobi of the village, and a cruel man."

There was something else on the back of his tongue, his ambition - burning, burning a hole in his mouth as he waited. He was surprised he was still able to ask it at all.

[googlefont=Open+Sans]
          heavy is the crown Nov 21, 2023 19:08:23 GMT -5
          Ryu
          Ryu Avatar
          groupnull

The silence between the two waivered as the boy made his request, leading Ryu to remain silent as he stood and watched him. The young man was struggling to stand before him, the pressure clearly enough to make it a battle of wills at this point. It was almost impressive, but he could only listen as his voice strained to speak. It perhaps was taking everything in him to utter as much as he did, and it was enough to make the point clear what he wanted. Permission to kill...

"A man need not ask for permission to kill another...they need only accept what comes after..."

Staring at him, the dragon would then speak once more, allowing himself to remain in clear view of Hotarubi.

"Tell me boy....if your father was so cruel...why have not already dispatched of him? Is it fear that causes you pause....or something more..."

It was strange that he need ask this...though considering the contrast between them, this one history was one of an individual seeking something. Would he find it in the death of his father? Or was it validation? His clan would likely ask questions of the incident, and in the end, it would do nothing but weaken them. Though the loss of but one was hardly something that concerned Ryu. It was the means behind it.

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                  heavy is the crown Nov 22, 2023 5:19:47 GMT -5
                  Akira
                  Akira Avatar
                  groupnull
                  Truthfully that had not been the answer Hotarubi had been looking for and it had instead been rather cryptic and unhelpful. Hotarubi was used to doing as he pleased: but as a Shinobi under Ryu's rule, he understood he had to accept the consequences of his actions and it certainly sounded like Ryu was not giving him a clear yes, and was more instead threatening him that Hotarubi could certainly do as he liked, but almost certainly receive punishment for it. This did not help him or ease him as he bit the inside of his rocky mouth.

The feeling in his gut was absolutely immense and even then he felt inadequate compared to the Lord - feeling his combat experience wane now in the presence of the man. This was completely unlike the feeling of a bully father, who he did not feel any fear against anymore. There was a technique he had been creating - too. One that would make all of this go away.

Like Hakurai, Hotarubi reminded himself that he had an earth body. But he also had no awareness of the man's skill set and just how easily that it would not help him. "If it doesn't bore you, Lord, I remember being a few years old and thrown out several miles outside of Takigakure no Sato because my father was disappointed in us not being prodigies. He did not care if we died, or returned. When I was a few years too young and was picked on, to the point I needed to leave the academy, I remember having my head alongside Na- my brother's, being repeatedly crushed for being weak, and his for following alongside." The memories actually fuelled an intense stare on his face as he recalled them and the putrid sickness he had for the man. "But now I'm older, and I'm just the Yamakira he wanted, and person my mother despises. My point is, Lord, I want to do it because I can do it. I will take it because he is a man who does not deserve to live."

Hotarubi remained very unanimated despite his face, a contrast to who he normally was. But what he had now that he didn't have as a child was assurances in his abilities.

[googlefont=Open+Sans]
                  heavy is the crown Nov 26, 2023 20:07:49 GMT -5
                  Ryu
                  Ryu Avatar
                  groupnull

To be discarded due to a perceived weakness...The boy felt as if the ability to prove otherwise now was reason enough to murder and to have it unquestioned...

A strength that was earned used to gain what he desired...

It was...impressive...

Short-sighted maybe...but none the less...it was enough to make even Ryu smile slightly from the mere thought of it. Hotarubi was still young and likely had much more that he could gain with his new-found ability. With such a drive for power and a reason for wishing against very feeling worthless, was it no wonder that the Lord found himself sensing a similar spirit? Though Ryu had never been weak, he had been considered a monster. A unnatural creature that had been born great and godly, who took and did what he wished and could careless who thought ill of it. Because...what could they do to him? They would fall just as easily and bow before him like everyone else.

Yet...time had been a teacher...and perhaps in that time...something had changed in the man that took what he wanted because he had the power to do it. A lack of passion perhaps, or simply his sights on other goals that took his attention.

A wayward "son" whom had yet to see his strength...a woman whom saw more to him....and a child...who he could only hope would never learn cruelty as he had, yet be strong enough to face it when the time came...

And now this....as if an echo from his past reminding him what who he was....

Closing his eyes, Ryu would then speak...

"Then do it.....if he was foolish to not see the man I see before me...then he is of no use to anyone...and a burden to his kin..."

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                          heavy is the crown Nov 30, 2023 6:04:52 GMT -5
                          Akira
                          Akira Avatar
                          groupnull

Though Hotarubi immediately regret his choice of wording being 'absolute' under the stare of Lord Ryu, there was an immediate wave of relief when the man slightly smiled, deflating Hotarubi some as he exhaled in what might've been construed as a 'little too deeply' of a sigh. He would not understand the man's motives beyond any reason or purpose but understood what Hotarubi himself wanted to accomplish in life, and that was only as far as his strength could take him.

So, it felt like eons before he spoke and Hotarubi found himself being more steeled as time went on and some confidence being restored to him that he wasn't being detained or fleeing for any reason. One might've expected that he would have left here with more questions than answers and being ultimately left to make his own choice (and freedom to accept the consequences past that). So when he did receive his response, Hotarubi couldn't help but nod vigorously.

It was a light of recognition as he was given his okay by the Lord, Hotarubi would bow his head to the man- though more accurately looking down at the floor. But that wasn't quite all, and it intrigued him to know or understand why Ryu had come to that conclusion. Was that it? Was the crown that light to Lord Ryu?

"Did you do the same... against the First Lady? Lord?" Maybe he was pushing his luck here. Frankly,

He had no idea.

[googlefont=Open+Sans]
                          heavy is the crown Dec 2, 2023 18:11:28 GMT -5
                          Ryu
                          Ryu Avatar
                          groupnull

The question was diving into an event that had at one time, been passed down as legend. The conflict between Ryu and the First Lady of Takigakure...of Bonchi no Kuni foundations. The tale was one that he had heard spoken in mild gossip and in truth, there were none alive that could full recall the actions that had taken place, only that the woman had vanished upon his arrival and his claim of Lordship.

"You ask if I killed her because I could?"

His expression remained calm as he could see his eyes laid toward the ground upon asking this of the Lord.

"When I came back to the village, it was after amassing what I considered at the time the power to do what I wished....but I wanted more...I did what was asked of me, but I did not cower to those that were weak, the First Lady being one of them...but I had already decided years ago that I would take this place..."

In saying this, his eyes narrowed as he continued...

"I came for her twice....the first ended with her defeat and my sparing her...the second would be last..."

It was a vague answer, but as much as he seemed willing to give for the moment.

"She lives...probably...but I do not know of where she may be of late, nor has she returned to confront me to claim what I took rightfully...when you want something and you desire it enough to do what you must...you take it...and you hold on to it for as long as it interests you..."

In saying this, he'd then closed his eyes before releasing a breath.

"Or until you are consumed by something else..."

In this, Ryu would then open his eyes before looking at Hotarubi.

"Do what you wish what you have and gain more....that is path of the strong...and those that wish for power...you keep it, you build upon it, and you ensure that none can take it away..."

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                                [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts
                                  heavy is the crown Dec 3, 2023 19:21:44 GMT -5
                                  Akira
                                  Akira Avatar
                                  groupnull

And it was Lord Ryu's turn to have a story this time and it was Hotarubi's time to be quiet as he absorbed the information - the history. It had been a good question he guessed - by the way that it had extracted rich teachings that even Hotarubi could understand and get.

He - Ryu - reached his own pinnacle and took what was his beyond any other competitor. It was actually the height of a Yamakira's fever dreams, and yet he had wondered why no Yamakira had dared take it. Was it the stories? Had there been attempts? Hotarubi would not dare ask. Either way, Ryu had decided that the Lordship was his and his own - and Hotarubi felt a pang of jealousy in that. The Yamakira in him stirred in that - and he even felt, flushed?

Hotarubi did not quite understand what Ryu meant, and as he stood there - kind of placidly, not knowing what to do with his hands he settled on a standard military pose of his hands behind his back and standing shoulder width apart, chest puffed outward with a straight back as he stared, as though expecting some sort of command. But was the First Lady still alive? "That tendril ability." Hotarubi spoke, nodding, his memory reminding him of Kunikunosaku and Hakurai. Ryu had faced it (twice, apparently) in a death fight and won.

But even then - Hotarubi did not expect, in that moment, that he detected what he perceived was weakness in his voice. It was jarring, it was something that caused Hotarubi to question his own perception. It must have been his own mistake. Surely it wasn't - Lord Ryu was the most powerful. So when Ryu's eyes opened, Hotarubi averted his gaze immediately.

Letting the words simmer for a few seconds in that underground cave - Hotarubi then bowed. "Thank you. I won't take up any more time. Lord." and if Ryu was inclined to dismiss him, Hotarubi would do just that.

[googlefont=Open+Sans]
                                  last edit by Akira on Dec 3, 2023 19:22:51 GMT -5
                                  heavy is the crown Dec 3, 2023 22:39:14 GMT -5
                                  Ryu
                                  Ryu Avatar
                                  groupnull

"Hmph...."

The boy would thank him, though in truth he did nothing that he could not have done himself. Acknowledge his abilities and do what he wanted with them. A blessing was a simple courtesy at best, at worst, it was the Yamakira wishing for something of reassurance that he could get away with it. What happened upon taking this course was his and his alone. Though he would keep his word in accepting the action if need be.

"You're dismissed..."

Moment Music
                                  In saying this, he'd wait for Hotarubi to leave his presence, allowing himself to be alone once more with this thoughts. Once this was done, and he could no longer sense the youth, he would begin to make his way back to the falls, seating himself at the center of the room as he focused his attention to the water. It was similar to the training he had done years ago, but this was different. It was less quiet, more disturbed by his own contradiction.

His logic....his core...it was no longer as complete as it had once been...or as certain of his path...

The absence of what he longed for, what drove him and kept him alive. What pushed him to fight and survive, those things were being tampered with...and he knew for what it was.

He was plagued by content....

The weakness of all men was complacency...of being satisfied with what they had and believing it was enough...

Yet....he was...by all accounts...finally prey to it....

But to deny it would be a failure of oversight on his part, and he would not be a fool...not even to himself...

The things that consumed him....the obsession that took the place of even his lust for power...was...

Family....

It was not a thing he would admit...but it was there....Midori....and his son...and even the boy...

Yet...what did it mean to the Dragon...to covet something now more than power?...Was it a betrayal of himself?

For the first time...the Perfect Shinobi....the Perfect Man...had a flaw....

[Items Worn[Passively]]:
                                        [Techniques Executed]:

has written 220 posts