Sounds Like Death

compose a reply
Sounds Like DeathMar 14, 2024 17:55:54 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
I won't be weak. Never again.
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 17 years old birthday May 2nd rank Student occupation Student
Despite her resolve in the moment, Mitsumi's heart had wavered, given time. She had discussed the matter with her parents, and that had only confused the matter further. They still didn't approve, broadly. Mitsumi knew that they wouldn't try to ban her from pursuing this path, especially when she was almost a fully fledged adult, but their support was extremely tentative. Becoming a Genin by her own grit and ability was one thing. Aiming for the rank of Chūnin gave her a concrete goal to work towards, and gave her a measure of control over her life. These things were not ideal, but her parents had come to accept them. She could see the strain, the worry, in their smiles.

Would becoming a Tetsumaki, changing some fundamental part of herself, be a step too far? Would the expectations of a clan cause her mind to crack and fracture under the pressure?

Could she even do this?

Doubt eroded her, and she found she needed more answers. She wanted so badly to accept, to take power - actual power - into her hands for the first time. To give her the means to give shape to her formless dreams. Yet fear and doubt, her constant companions, snapped at her heels. Trying to drag her down. To accept her place in the static mire, where everything was banal, safe, and unremarkable.

Mitsumi could never disappoint anyone if no one expected anything of her.

She shook her head, pressing her lips together as she hesitated for the eighth time before the Tetsumaki compound. Her mind was crawling, and she was trying to disappear into her hat and baggy jacket. But... she couldn't stand still. Even if she refused this path, even if she chose to walk it, Mitsumi would regret it forever if she didn't learn exactly what it required.

She crossed the threshold, both literal and metaphorical.
"Tetsumaki-sensei...?" Mitsumi ventured, nervously. She had been told to come here when she was ready for the next step, but didn't know the protocol beyond that. "I've um... thought about it."
last edit by Itagaki Mitsumi on Mar 16, 2024 5:46:45 GMT -5
Boats has written 76 posts
Sounds Like DeathMar 16, 2024 4:21:34 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Nindo Goes Here: Edit Profile > Personal > Most Recent Status
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday January 7 rank Elite Jounin occupation Genin Team 3 Leader
When she came forth, she would find the Tetsumaki Clan Compound was largely empty, but vast in its expanse. The houses were largely devoid of life, and it seemed as if the place was more occupied by ghosts of what might have been people. Yet, there too was the onset of new life. Children playing in the background, or the sounds of thunking on wood as they threw Shuriken or beat on the dummies in taijutsu practice. Tetsumaki Shirai wasn't just a member of the clan. She lead it. Held all of its experiences, traditions, and customs upon her shoulders. So...Who better to ask what it would entail to become one?

She calls forth, and with it, as she came before Shirai's home, a traditional looking dojo of sorts along the stone steps leading upwards. Out of nowhere, would seemingly Shirai's hand grasp her shoulder with a tilt of her head. "And what was the outcome?" Pretty sure she'd half scared the life out of the girl, maybe causing her to jump or jolt forward, Shirai gave a light hearted laugh. Today, instead of wearing her normal skin tight suit, she would see the liger wearing a purple kimono of which clung neatly to her form. Her purple eyes looking softly into Mitsumi's own.

"I figured I'd see you coming around eventually."
dandead10#5303 has written 64 posts
Sounds Like DeathMar 16, 2024 21:22:41 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
The empty and sterile compound was a little unnerving. There were many places like this in Kumogakure, houses and spaces left empty after the plague ravaged the population. Didn't make them any less disturbing.

Mitsumi jumped and gasped when her shoulder was touched, physically flinching away from the source as her eyes flew wide and turned to face who had touched her. The fear and surprise melted into a mixture of relief and mild irritation as she saw the smile from Tetsumaki. Pink dusted her cheeks, and she smoothed out her clothing and hair. A common ritual to reassert control of herself and the situation. She really had to stop being so jumpy if she was going to cut it as a kunoichi.

"I'm, uh..." Mitsumi started, clearly struggling with her words. Her thoughts felt jumbled, whatever speech or words she had come armed with scattering to the winds with Tetsumaki's ambush. Even her appearance was throwing her off a bit. It felt odd to see her wearing something rather conventional. Without exposing a lot of skin. Well... hopefully that meant that Tetsumaki's style of clothing wasn't somehow required of those of her clan. She pressed her lips together, and clenched her fists. Her mind was wandering. Again. She forced her gaze to meet Tetsumaki's.

"I've thought about it, but I haven't changed my mind. I still want to do it. I do, but..." Inhale, exhale. She had to show courage, and determination. But not recklessness. "But before I commit to this, I should- I want to know what it will take. Both what I stand to gain, and to lose." It was a practiced line, despite its faltering delivery.
Sounds Like DeathMar 16, 2024 21:41:10 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
age 37 years old birthday January 7 rank Elite Jounin occupation Genin Team 3 Leader
The academy student before her was pretty cute, with her flushed demeanor and how easy she was to spook. "Well. I'm glad you're asking." She says, taking the liberty to grasp her by the arm and begin bringing her along with her. Back towards the front steps, before she motions for her to sit down. "Makes sense you'd ask these kinds of question. Everything in this world is transactional. And that includes being part of a community. A village. A clan." She says, before seating herself alongside Mitsumi; if she chose to sit.

"Let's start with what you lose." Better to start with the bad and end off on the high notes. "If you become part of the clan, you'll be expected to be part of it beyond name. You'll attend events. Answer when called upon. From the missions you do, a part of your pay goes towards the clan's treasury. To handle expenses as well as to save for emergencies. To learn our clan's culture, and to at least listen to our traditions." Though, she'd probably already thought of that already. It wasn't as if she hadn't done some thinking on those affairs.

"If you choose to learn our Hijutsu? Which I'd be willing to immerse you in? You'll gain incredible boons and power, but you'll never be able to learn any other element than Raiton. Not that you'll ever need anything else. But you'll have a line of jutsu that only the Tetsumaki clan can perform. A jutsu that made us feared throughout the ninja world." She says, taking the liberty to more or less finish up on the "bad parts", though Mitsumi might not even consider it so. It was there that Shirai would proceed to fold her legs and look up at the sky. Then to her.

"What you gain. A sense of community, a mentorship under me as your sensei, who'll make you into one of the finest ninja that Kumogakure's ever seen. A sense of family who'll support you on your journey. You'd always be welcome at the compound and could claim a home for yourself. As well as access to our jutsu libraries. To learn about all the ninja arts we have at our disposal." Hard to pass up now wasn't it? After all. For Mitsumi who came from a troubled background, with little to her name other than her grit and will? Who wouldn't want what Shirai was offering?

"A mother's love I suppose...As much as I can give."
Sounds Like DeathMar 16, 2024 22:50:44 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Mitsumi listened carefully, her gaze intense as she committed everything said to memory. She felt like the decision was already made, but she had to be certain. The first point seemed fair. A compound like this needed care, and, it stood to reason that as the clan helped its membership, the membership would be expected to help the clan in turn. It would be an additional loyalty - sworn to both Kumogakure and the Raikage, as well as to the Tetsumaki clan and its leader. She didn't know much of the Tetsumaki's traditions or culture, but that also sounded reasonable. Mitsumi nodded readily enough.

Unless one of those traditions was deeply immoral or otherwise upsetting, she saw no reason to object.

Abandoning every element other than Raiton would be a significant sacrifice, in terms of her abilities. She didn't know her own chakra affinity too well, but she was aware that her mother had mostly used fiery ninjutsu... though she had not seen any of them for a long time. For reasons that went beyond her mother's retirement. And having something that powerful would be an ace up her currently-empty sleeves.

Restrictions also gave direction. A direction she was currently lacking. Power. It was tempting. It was why she was here.

Her decision became firmer, but the final offer gave her pause. She blinked rapidly, brow furrowing. Her hand came up to tug at her hair.
"A mother's...?" It struck her a little odd, and her gaze wandered around the compound. The calm and still compound. The empty compound. Understanding dawned on her. Why Tetsumaki had been so quick to try to recruit her. Her, a clanless and determined kunoichi-in-training, hungry for power. Maybe it was manipulative, but... Mitsumi could understand wanting to fill that hole in her life. "I... my family is still important to me, Tetsumaki-sensei. If... When I become a Tetsumaki, that's not going to ch-change." Her voice wavered. But this was important to her. "And they're still here. My father, my brother, my mother... they're all I really have left. After everything." Mitsumi took a deep breath. "I don't mind becoming family. Maybe..." The blush deepened. "M-Maybe even b-becoming your d-daughter, of a sort. B-But..." Another breath, and steel rose back into her voice. "Please tell me I won't have to abandon my family. I... I can't. Not after everything they've done for me."
Sounds Like DeathMar 16, 2024 22:59:42 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
"Not at all." That was the response that came. "Your family's more than welcome to live in the Clan Compound with you if you'd like. And if your mother or father work any skilled trade, I'd be happy to get them connections or employment." The Tetsumaki could use some revitalization in the civilian sector anyways. "No need to abandon anyone kiddo. Just think of me as the mom of every orphan and lost youth out there. Second mother if it feels better." She gives a melodious laughter, that sounded pleasant to hear, before she leans back and looks at the sky.

"When you've lost your family, you find yourself open to everyone. Treasuring that more than anything you could imagine. That's why we Shinobi exist. Why we fight. To preserve the happiness and peace of the country. The village. Everyone in it." She says, and with it, she slowly reaches her hand out and massages the back of Mitsumi's neck, a little tactic she learned to help people relax in stressful situations. The girl before her seemed so lost, and yet, so willing to do things to prove herself. Smiling brightly, Shirai found herself turning to face her. Look her in the eyes, and with it, she'd say something that perhaps she hadn't heard from her own parents.

"I want to help you, and I believe in you. That you'll do great in this line of work, and I'm here to guide you every step of the way." Regardless if she wanted to be a member of the clan or not. Patting her back, she slowly sits upright, and rests her hands along her lap, looking over the horizon. Over the village from these steps.
Sounds Like DeathMar 17, 2024 5:13:37 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
"L-Live? Here?" Mitsumi blinked rapidly, clearly not expecting that offer. Or was it a requirement? "I- That's... Th-they run a restaurant. I don't know... i-if they would want to move." Her mouth felt dry, as the magnitude of the offer and this decision began to dawn in full. It wouldn't just affect her, would it? If she accepted, the rest of the family would become connected to the Tetsumaki clan. Would Shou be asked to learn this as well? To follow in her footsteps? If that's what he wanted, she'd welcome it. But... part of her hoped he'd live the quiet life she was spurining. Someone needed to carry on the Itagaki recipes, and it wasn't going to be her.

Mitsumi started and stiffened at the touch on her neck, the rubbing achieving the opposite of its intended effect. Mitsumi pressed her lips into a thin line, and bore it. Maybe she'd have to have a talk about the physical touch, but... right now, she needed to project some level of strength and readiness.

But... it was her neck. Skin. There were scars there. She knew they were visible, but maybe Tetsumaki assumed they were only on her face and hand. If she saw - felt - just how far those old scars spread....

The pat on the back won a grimace, and she followed Tetsumaki's gaze. "I want to protect my family, our people. We... We've lost too much, already." The empty compound felt hollow. Not just empty, but lacking. Having lost so many, they were weak. Were there forces out there plotting to take what they had left? If there were... Mitsumi wouldn't let them.

"I'll talk to my family. But... assuming they assent..." Mitsumi shifted as she sat, to look at Tetsumaki directly. ""What's the next step? What traditions do I have to follow?" Her eyes brimmed with determination. Graduation wasn't that far away, and she had no time to waste. She would do this.
Sounds Like DeathMar 17, 2024 19:24:02 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
A raised brow. "Restaurant huh? Shoot me the place. I'll go give it some business then. And if they don't want to? Don't need to. Just make sure to tell them that if they do, we cover the rent." Taking the liberty to shrug her shoulders. It wasn't really all that deep. Whether or not her brother wanted to follow his Onee-Chan's footsteps and become a ninja or not? That was up to him. Not everyone was fit to be a ninja and wanted to live that life. Shirai was one of the coolest cats out there, and never forced her agendas. They needed to come to the conclusions that they wanted to do something.

When she said she wanted to protect her family and people? Shirai grinned. "Well then you've come to the right place." She says, before tucking her knees a little bit closer to herself. "Well...We have some semi regular sermons about our religion. The Storm. And what it means to us, but those kinds of things, you can get started on when you've seen what exactly the gift is. We have some festivals our clan does from time to time. I guess you can say your traditional knowledge can't start in full until you're in the clan." That said though? She did some thinking.

"But the first thing for someone your age? Is to go on a pilgrimage. With me to one of the highest points in Kumo. Where lightning rocks and the storms are strong. You'll go with me. Before that though?..." She reaches into her haori and takes out strange black pills. Dark colored pills with a white lid. "Iron tablets. Take them three times a day, and eat plenty of meat. Red meat." Handing her the bottle, she winks. "I still take them myself. Good for your health. And the jutsu."
last edit by Shirai Tetsumaki on Mar 18, 2024 19:43:28 GMT -5
Sounds Like DeathMar 18, 2024 4:45:15 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
That was... honestly a relief. It was also the last excuse she could muster to find any reason to refuse the offer. If their parents wanted to stay in the place her father had built and rebuilt, they could. That place had a lot of memories - fond and painful. But it would be their choice, not hers. And even if they stayed, it wasn't that large a village. She could see them frequently and easily.
"It's just called Yamanote Shokudō. In the residential district. It's, ah... common faire. Good, but... simple." Mitsumi spoke of her family's business with a mixture of pride and humility. It was sincerely good, in her mind, but it paled in comparison to a clan's legacy.

Talk of The Storm gave her a moment of pause. Mitsumi wasn't the religious type, but of all the things to worship, a storm made sense. Powerful and untameable, bringing both calamity and new life. Sounded like a god to her. As important as it was, it didn't sound like a complicated cult. If all that was required of her was paying homage with festivals and the occasional prayer or offering, she could do that.

The pilgrimage also sounded doable, but the final and initial request gave her pause. She accepted the tablets with a quizzical look. "Do I look anemic...?" She pondered aloud, though barely above a whisper. Despite appearances, Mitsumi actually took her health very seriously, and frequented her family doctor for regular checkups. It had been a while since she had her blood work done, but she didn't recall any issues...

The words finally clicked. "Will this jutsu... change my body?" Mitsumi killed the hope that it would somehow make her whole, make her unscarred. Normal. She couldn't set herself up for disappointment like that. Not with such a vain hope. "I won't have to dress like you do... right?"
Sounds Like DeathMar 18, 2024 19:50:25 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
"Common food is good food." Shirai was hankering for a bit of a meal herself. Though, in those next moments? There was a question from Mitsumi. Did she look anemic? "It's not about that. You see...When you go through the process? This body changing process. It won't work if you don't have a surplus of iron in your body." She said it pretty clearly. "As for changing your body?...Yeah. It will. Absolutely will." She nodded her head. Before Shirai would take the liberty to step back, and would rub the back of her head. It was easier to show than explain.

"You'll be able to move faster. So blindingly fast that your enemy can't react. Be able to phase through people's attacks. Because you'll be able to." Shirai suddenly finds herself becoming a streak of electricity, morphing her shape and form as she becomes a sheen of yellow and blue, before absorbing into the steps, and conducting by the steps. "You'll be able to turn into lightning itself. That's the hijutsu of the Tetsumaki clan. That's the power we hold that made us as powerful, if not even more feared than the Raikage." She finds herself looking carefully at her. Though. Shirai wasn't sure if it would help fix Mitsumi's scarred body. After all.

She'd never had someone so old attempting to become a member of her clan and garner its powers at this stage in life. "No. You don't need to dress like I do. Though. Taking these pills is a necessity. Otherwise. If you don't? When we do the ritual...You'll die." A terrifying thought. It wasn't necessarily true, but, hey, nothing like the fear of death to inspire taking pills on time.
Sounds Like DeathMar 18, 2024 23:47:52 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
A surplus of iron. Mitsumi may have tried to think of the reason why, or pondered the implications of that if it weren't for Tetsumaki disappearing in a flash of lightning. No - becoming lightning. She had heard rumors of such a thing, but she had thought them exactly that: rumors. Tall tales. She knew Tetsumaki was fast, and very capable with Raiton, even from their brief encounters. What would her body have to be like in order to do that? Would she even be properly human anymore, and would she become something more? Less?

It didn't really matter. If she wanted to succeed as a kunoichi with all of her faults, she needed this edge. She had no talent, and plenty of baggage weighing her down. She needed something to set her apart. To give her an edge.

The last comment gave her pause. Mitsumi's brow furrowed in concern, and she tugged at her fringe. A clear tell of her nerves, by this point.
"This... ritual is risky, then...?" To say she wasn't frightened of death would be a lie. Even if only because she didn't want to cause her family any more pain by dying before her time. "I... I still want to do this. I just..." She clutched the pills to her chest, forcing her hand away from her hair, and her eyes to make contact. "I want to know my odds before I roll the dice." How bad would the odds have to be to turn her away? Mitsumi wasn't sure she wanted to know the answer.
Sounds Like DeathMar 22, 2024 22:03:39 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
She thought of how to answer the question, and instead of answering the question directly at first? She'd speak a conceptual truth. "All things in this life holds risk, especially the career you enter into." She says softly, resting a hand along Mitsumi's shoulder. "But the risks we take our ours to choose. I understand that you are choosing this path, because you believe that it is the key to power. The path to skill and ability. Power." She'd always known that was what Mitsumi felt, for once upon a time? She had been a Mitsumi. In the throes of war and chaos.

"But there is nothing wrong with seeking a life of peace and prosperity. To walk down a different path. So long that is the path you wish to follow. At the end of the day? You must look deep within yourself, and think about what it is you want and why." She says, before turning and looking towards Mitsumi. Whom said she still wanted to do the ritual. This operation. In which case? Shirai finds herself thinking truthfully. She'd never adopted someone so old into her clan, and so, she wasn't sure how the process would be. Yet, she could at least pull from the wisdom she'd had.

"So long as you prepare appropriately? Little to none. Though. I think you need to truly reflect. I sense great conflict within your heart, conflict my wisdom cannot help you through. This is your journey, and you need to find your way." She says, firmly making connection with the girl before her. Shirai had always seemed happy go lucky and confident, but this was not because she had no pain in her heart. She chose happiness and its pursuit. Something she felt she should pass onto this lost girl before her. 
last edit by Shirai Tetsumaki on Mar 22, 2024 22:04:56 GMT -5
Sounds Like DeathMar 23, 2024 3:28:23 GMT -5
Itagaki Mitsumi
Itagaki Mitsumi Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
Irritation prickled at Mitsumi's mind, despite her attempts to suppress it. Couldn't Tetsumaki see that being touched made her uncomfortable? As it was, she stiffened and shrank away from the touch, though guilt stabbed at her. It was a paradoxical; she appreciated the gesture, intellectually. She despised it instinctually. She didn't want to be a charity case. She didn't want to be touched. She couldn't even properly articulate why.

"I... I'm sure about this. This path." Mitsumi's gaze fell to the hands on her lap. One unblemished, one scarred. They balled into fists. "I told you before. That I... Th-that I wanted to be strong. And I do." She tried to bring herself to make eye contact, and failed. Physical touch was making her skin crawl, and itch. Next to someone so accomplished, so, well... probably attractive, she felt weak, ugly, and wretched. It was good to know that, as long as she kept her fitness and iron intake up there wasn't much risk, but...

This was more foundational than that. "It's just..." She shook her head, and sighed. She shifted to face Tetsumaki, shrugging out of her touch. Her eyes were firm. "I'm tired, Tetsumaki-sensei. Tired of being... this. Weak." It stung to admit, but it was true. A truth she had only shared with her parents and her therapist. "You're offering me an opportunity to become something more. I won't - can't - miss this chance." She wanted to lay her hand on Tetsumaki's. Do something that showed just how determined she was. As it was, all she could do was put steel in her voice, and fire in her eyes. "So please, tell me. After the iron, the preparation... when can we do this?"
Sounds Like DeathMar 26, 2024 6:04:48 GMT -5
Shirai Tetsumaki
Shirai Tetsumaki Avatar
groupCloud Shinobi
"There's other ways of getting strong kid." That was the truth. However, considering all of the circumstances, she'd stop trying to convince her otherwise. She seemed to have made up her mind, and she was sure she wanted to do this. Taking the liberty to clap her hands along her knees, she cracks her neck and looks this Itagaki with a suck of her teeth. Wasn't the healthiest of mindsets to have. "It'll still require work." That was the truth. "No shortcuts. Just different tools."

Though, rising up onto her feet, she felt as if it was about time to get this show on the road. "One month." She says, raising her finger. "One month, you'll be needing to take those pills. Just to be sure. And I'll be training you personally every day until then. As well as put you on a dietary suggestion, and get your body up to physical standard. During this time? I will train you in our taijutsu kata and stances." With enough said? She points out towards the dojo.

"Plenty of training equipment and places to practice. I'm here to get you just about anything you need. Though. If that's all? There's no better time to start your training. Than now." Slapping her hard along the back, as if to force her to stand, she begins to guide her for a long series of investment.

[End]